Example on Remote IIS Agent

May 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Hi

I'm trying to test a QuickMon setup where I will use 2 IIS Agent on two seperate remote machines. I have managed to add the "Remote Agents" to the Remote agent manager, but I cannot figure out how to add them as Collectors om my local QuickMon installation?
Coordinator
May 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Edited May 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
It should be fairly simple. Do the following:
  1. Install the QuickMon Windows Service on the 'remote' machines (using the -install command line option or through UI client). Also make sure all Collector agent assemblies are located in the same directory as the service (if you copy everything manually).
  2. Make sure the services runs under an account that has access to the resources you want to monitor.
  3. Also make sure if you have a firewall on those servers that the 'exception' rule has been created allowing remote connections to the service (see documentation on CodePlex).
  4. On the 'client' side set up a monitor pack as normal (at first like it will monitor local resources) using the Windows Client. It also serves as an editor for monitor packs.
  5. In the (Advanced) settings of the Collector entry specify the name of the remote server (there is also a 'Test' button to make sure it works from there.
  6. Make sure if you change the port settings that the remote host (service on remote machines) config file has been edited. In the QuickMonService.exe.config file there is a setting for < setting name="WcfServiceURL" serializeAs="String" >< value >http :// localhost:8181/QMRemoteAgent < /value>< /setting>
It should then work.
May 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Thank You very much for Your help.

I was a bit confused about the mix between adding/editing local collector and use the same added entries on the remote collector. I used the "Import" on the IIS collector which added all my local App Pool entries and none of these was on my remote IIS.

I managed to get my remote IIS collector up and running now.

I will continue on developing a custom collector for my email server now.